Sunday, January 3, 2016

Happy New Year!

As a rule, I am opposed to New Years resolutions. Not because I have anything against resolving to be a better person, but I think it's silly to wait until the New Year to change. You want to change? Do it now, don't make excuses to wait. 
With that in mind, I didn't make any resolutions this year. But I did decide to challenge myself. Challenge? Maybe the wrong word. I decided, given that my hobbies are "marathoning TV series on Netflix", "overanalyzing everything", and "avoiding responsibilities", that I would simultaneously give myself the opportunity to continue my marathoning tenancies while also avoiding responsibilities. I thought it would be interesting to track the books, movies, and TV series I consume this year and write reviews of them here. This does several things.
1. Gives me the ability to see just how much pop culture I consume this year.
2. Helps me to develop my writing skills (for whatever reason, I find blogs impossible to write)
3. Helps me to develop my critical analyzing skills (a useful tool for writers to have).
4. Gives me an excuse to not do homework.
Everybody wins (except possibly my GPA). Of course, I'm not a professional critic, and everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt and not treated as gospel truth (unless you want to treat it that way. You do you). I will attempt to approach everything with an open mind, though I make no promises (I am only human, after all). You're welcome to keep up with my blog posts (which I will try to update frequently but it really depends on whether or not I have anything to review), and you're welcome to walk away if you don't agree with my opinions. 
So, a little bit about myself. I'll be graduating this year with a BSc in Biology with a minor in creative writing. Sounds like an odd minor for a science degree, but all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Creative writing is my passion, and what is university good for, if not wasting thousands of dollars to explore those passions? I work at Starbucks as a barista (yes, I am aware that we aren't considered "real" baristas but that's what we're called). The job itself isn't any worse than any other customer service job, with the added bonus of appearing insufferably hipster, which is where the idea for the title came from. I take nothing seriously (just kidding I take everything too seriously but pretending that I don't helps me keep my sanity).
I'm currently working my way through Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein, so look forward to that, but in the meantime, I've been watching a lot of movies with my boyfriend to greet the new year in style. Look forward to that too, some of them are real winners (including 2 Fast 2 Furious).

~Sassa

No comments:

Post a Comment